Tuesday 18 May 2010

writer's room 11

There is a wonderful mix of inspirational items and space in this area. It looks tidy, a lot of clear space to keep distractions at a minumum and give creativity space, yet the writer hasn't gone for a Spartan look, but still holds dear a few little items of inspiration ( books, a few framed pictures on the wall, and on the desk, one on the wall looks mysterious and slightly sinister, one is in bright coloured felt pen and has a childlike innocence.) So we'd expect a mix in the work of the writers maybe. This looks like a space that isn't shrine like, or too full, but is designated for creativity- clutter banished for clarity in this one space no matter how chaotic other areas in the house may get. The writer says:
This is my desk on a good day--the top surface is visible. I tend to spread out paper, books and small piles of random things that do not belong on a desk. Right now, my desk is a blank slate. I find supreme pleasure in just sitting here, looking at the walls or out the window, waiting for an idea to surface.

I once met a writer who had a full time job, young children, and was so pushed for time she had to get up at 5am to get any writing done at all (that's dedication.) At the time my desk was always chaos, upon talking to her I was amazed, she said her desk was the only tidy area in the house. She was very strict about this, her desk, her space, so her way (writer's like their own things I think for the writing part of their life- my keyboard, my photo, my notebook, my weird pens and funny pictures in my area.) 'Tidy desk, tidy mind' she said. I was so interested in her approach I was inspired to sort my desk out and make a proper area for myself to work in. This clean surface work area reminded me of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment